Cleaning of polycarbonate roofs is an activity that any home or apartment owner should keep in mind. It is one of the procedures that makes up roof maintenance. This process is important since failure to cleanse creates future problems as this form a breeding ground for moss and dirt which eventually lead leakage and breakage.
Following is a discussion step by step guide on how to clean polycarbonate roofing, tools, solutions and precautionary measures. When cleaning is correctly, the lifespan and quality of the roof can be extended.
These are requirements necessary for cleaning polycarbonate roofs:
What you need
Choose the right cleaners– The cleaners are usually tested in laboratories to ensure compatibility with the carbonate sheets. There are agents such as Palmolive liquid, Joy, Freon T.F, Top Job, VM&P grade Naptha, Windex with Ammonia and Brillianize which are compatible with such roofs and are recommended for use in cleansing.
Other cleaning agents such as Lysol, Pinesol, Butyl Cellosolve, Isopropanol and Formula 409 should never be used in cleaning polycarbonate roofs since they are incompatible and often cause more harm than good.
Use tender cloth and water to blow off dust. Hands and dry clothing should never be used in the cleaning sheets since they rub off the coating of the sheets as much as they clean off dirt.
For stains that require scrubbing, soft cloth or automobile polish should be used to minimize destroying the sheets. Finally, the polycarbonate material needs rinsing, therefore, clean water should be used to eliminate the residue of detergents and after cleansing the surface should be dried using a cloth to prevent spotting.
Here are steps to be followed while cleaning polycarbonate roofing:
Start by removing, sand, leaves and all forms of debris that have built on the rooftop in time. Rooftops ought to be cleansed at least twice annually. All this debris can be picked using a hand or broom.
Care should be taken to prevent scratching or piercing the rooftop since it may result in leakages or break the coating. This, in turn, deteriorates the quality of the roof and shortens its life span.
After collecting the debris, rinse the polycarbonate roof using lukewarm water. Small particles of debris and water will, however, flow to the gutters. It is advisable to clear the gutters and detach the gutters from water reservoirs.
Soap powder should then be mixed with warm water to ensure proper cleaning on the joints. Roof brushes, sponges and a soft cloth are then used along with this soap in cleaning seals.
Scrubbing should be done gently in a vertical manner and in the same direction as the flutes. For cases where the roof is self-cleaning, a water pipe should be directed towards the grime to wash it away.
Once the entire roof has been cleansed, it should be rinsed with water. A regular tip recommended by manufacturers is to avoid rinsing roofs with warm water on sunny days since it dries quickly and often leaves soap spots. After rinsing, the roof is allowed to dry and is left with a shiny finish.
Lastly, inspect the gutters to check for any debris and clogged water and cleanse the gutters one last time then attach the gutters back to the water reservoirs. These polycarbonate roofs would be clean and would require regular inspection and cleansing in another six months.
Precautionary Measures to be taken while Cleaning Polycarbonate Roofs
- Refrain from using strong detergents on the polycarbonate roofs. Such elements corrode the coatings which prolong the lifespan of such roofs. Mild soaps that lack abrasive chemicals can, however, be used. These detergents should be mixed with fairly warm water to break down tough germs.
- To select the best detergent, consult with experienced sheet manufacturers. Roofs must be carefully selected to avoid damaging the polycarbonate roof. It is proven that common household detergents corrode the roofs. The roofs contain a protective coating that prevents harmful rays, therefore, they should not be scrubbed using petroleum made cleaners or abrasives.
- Refrain from using rough sponges since they are proven to destroy polycarbonate coatings. Soft and gentle sponges ought to be used and while cleansing, the sheets should be scrubbed while facing the flutes to prevent damaging and corroding these roofs. Scrubbing the polycarbonate roof in various directions also destroys the coatings.
- Dirty water also destroys the coatings and causes water spots. Cleansing water should be changed and the sponges rinsed regularly during the cleansing process. The same amount of water and detergent should be used whenever water is replaced.
- Use proper tools. The greatest concern in cleaning these roofs is reaching the top of the roof. Brush attachments that allow the cleaner to access the rooftop while operating from a lower position ought to be used. These tools are necessary since they allow cleansing and rinsing to be done concurrently. In case someone is unable to purchase them, they should consider hiring such handy brushes.
- Have an appropriate time to cleanse since some roofs require cleansing at least annually as they are manufactured using glasses that automatically self-cleanse. These glasses rely on sunlight to remove dirt and also inhibit the clinging of dirt on the surfaces. The material also relies on rain to cleanse dirt away. During summer, the glass is unable to self-cleanse due to little rain.
In conclusion, for effective cleaning close attention needs to be placed on the following factors:
Abrasive materials should be avoided since they leave surfaces with numerous scratches. These materials have an impact resistance but are however prone to scratching. Harsh detergents and cleansing solvents like hydrochloric acid should be avoided while cleansing since they reduce the lifespan of polycarbonate roofs and degrade the material used in manufacturing the sheets.
The sheets should also be cleansed using lukewarm water and away from direct sunlight. Cleansing the roofs in this manner causes discoloration. These factors are an integral part of the maintenance of all polycarbonate materials.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Details here